Friday, February 24, 2023

Shadow Puppet Residency

Testing our Shadow Puppets

Our Designs
Monica is back and this time she's teaching us all about shadow puppets and storyboarding! 

We have seen Monica twice this week in the library. We spent the time creating and testing shadow puppets made out of paper, brads, and wood sticks. We have been able to add details like eyeballs by attaching plastic using double-sided tape. We got to be creative and design our own characters, such as monsters, animals, robots, aliens, food, and even check marks! 

This fun activity connects to our learning in a variety of ways. For Art, we're experimenting with a different medium, how to create movement using brads, how to add detail not through drawing but by cutting so that it shows up when it's a shadow.

For Language Arts, we are exploring story writing. Next week we'll create comics using our characters on storyboards in pictures. Our stories must include a character who demonstrates an emotion, as a connection to our current work for Well-Being


Making Puppets
Another great connection is that we learn about Light and Shadows in Science this year. This is a wonderful introduction into opaque objects and how the shadow changes as we move the object closer and further from the light source. 

"I like that we get to design our own puppets. For my snowman, the arms were way too thin and the hole punch was too big, so I had to make the arms thicker." ~ Sage
"I like the Art part. The hole punching has been challenging because you want to get it in the right spot." ~ Keagan
"I love it! I like how we get so much materials and time to make it and I love that there's so much we can do and there are lights so we can do shows and things. Definitely getting the visor out of my Among Us and it's very hard to get the perfect hole puncher to do it. Last time, mine malfunctioned because the hole was too big." ~ Nico

All of our Supplies
"I like attaching these brads to make the arms or legs move. It was challenging to put the small holes on the small legs." ~ M
"I'm liking how we can make our own style of stuff." ~ Nolan
"I like how we get to experiment with the different arms and styles that we get to make in our shadow puppets. At first, when I was making my eyes for my first ghost, it was a little struggle because I was trying to connect it without putting tape on it so it just looked like a circle without the pupil." ~ Abbey
"I liked how we got to discover different ways to make the puppet. My favourite part was putting moveable arms and moveable legs. I had a tiny bit of a struggle putting on the moveable arms and legs." ~ Olivia



"I liked how we could do our own things and I came over a problem when building my shadow puppet. What happened was the stick was too short so I added more so my hand wouldn't come in the way." ~ Arsh

Exploring Stories with our Puppets
"I liked how that arms and legs can move. A problem was that the hole puncher was too big to fit my shark." ~ Aarav
"I liked that there was no limits for how many moveable parts you could put on so you could basically make the head move. Something that kept happening with mine was that the head fell upside down." ~ Koen
"I liked that I could make my own creations. I didn't know that I could make an attachable stick and arms." ~ A

Fitset Ninja!

Here are some pictures from our Fitset Ninja activity! Have an awesome summer, everyone, and I'll see you back at Ramsay School on Augus...